in Dryburn (Bellie Parish, Scotland)
The book explores the history of our family from 1670 to 1920. It follows the lives of five generations of
Frasers, from John to William, from Scotland to Canada and onto the United States.
Linda and I would like to dedicate this little book to our grandchildren: Timothy, Natasha and to the memory of
Snippets: " William Fraser and Johanna Chisholm. Altogether William and Johanna infancy. Those that survived made opportunities their new country offered, often rising to great success through the church....... Their daughter Teresa entered the Convent of the Good Shepherd at 17 years of age, receiving the Habit on August 5, 1893 ...... Returning to Toronto, Sister St. John was named Mistress of the Magdalens. According to the Archivist of the Convent, "Her exuberant nature soon won the hearts of her charges and for thirteen years or so, she guided, directed, and consoled these dear souls......"She was named Mistress of Novices in 1932. Again, according to the Archivist, "She had great love and zeal for the Missions and inculcated this missionary spirit in her Novices. Naturally enough, her predilection was for the Scarborough Foreign Missions......"
William and Johanna’s daughter Isabella lost her husband when he was thirty and she herself predeceased her parents, dying at thirty-seven years of age, having been born in Inverness in 1868. William and Johanna, along with the ever-present help of their oldest daughter Mary Ann, took over raising the children. One of Isabella’s sons, Francis Patrick Carroll, became a priest, then President of St. Augustine’s Seminary in Scarborough and finally Bishop of Calgary. He was named one of Canada’s ten top after dinner speakers by Saturday Night Magazine. Her other son William became one of Canada’s leading seismologists and her daughter Teresa became the family archivist compiling the first known family genealogy.
In 1918 Msgr. John Fraser established the St. Francis Xavier China Mission Seminary in Almonte. In 1921, the society moved to its present location in Scarborough, changing its name to the Scarborough Foreign Mission Society. Its first priests left for China in 1925. Msgr. Fraser stayed in China until 1949, hiding from the Communists for several years following the revolution. He was made a Monsignor in 1932. When the Communists prevented him from returning to China in 1950, Msgr. Fraser went to Japan at the age of 73 and started working there. In Nagasaki, he rebuilt Our Lady Queen of Martyrs Church, destroyed by the Atomic Bomb. He died September 3, 1962 and is buried in Japan. His Seminary and several Adult Education Colleges around Toronto are named in his honour.